Nursery Office Clerk
Job Title: Nursery Office Clerk
Location: Planting Justice Nursery @ 319 105th Ave, Oakland
Accountable to: Nursery Office Manager
Effective Date: As soon as possible
Job Type: Part Time
Planting Justice is a grassroots organization with a mission to empower people impacted by mass incarceration and other social inequities with the skills and resources to cultivate food sovereignty, economic justice, and community healing.
The Nursery Office Clerk will assist with customer interactions in person, over email, and on the phone. Working together with the Nursery Office Manager the Nursery Office Clerk will help to ensure happy and healthy plants reach our customers by staying on top of the orders that come in throughout the year. Our Office Clerk position is perfect for a customer service oriented person who is excited about organic gardening and social justice.
Full-Time Duties and Responsibilities:
– Greet, assist, and check out in-person customers
– Answer phone calls and reply to voicemails – responding to customer inquiries and concerns accurately and promptly
– Respond to customer emails accurately and promptly
– Prepare order sheets for our shipping crew to ensure we send out our plants in a timely and efficient manner
– Keep track of orders placed throughout the year and ensure we stay on top of them (especially through the busy spring/summer seasons)
– Update plant profiles and inventory quantities on our website
– Help give tours of the nursery and orientations to our volunteers
– Work closely with the Office Manager to carry out all necessary tasks
Qualifications & Skills:
– Gmail, Google Docs, and Google Sheets
– Customer service and sales
– Answering phone and voicemails
– Cooperative and able to work well in a team environment
– Knowledge of plants and organic gardening is a plus but not required
– Willingness and excitement to learn
Education and Experience:
– High School diploma or GED
– We will train
Compensation and Benefits:
– Minimum salary rate for the position of Office Clerk begins at $19/hr, with room for negotiation based on experience, with a 3% increase in annual pay
– The Office Clerk position is part time [20-24 hrs/week] – either three 8hr days/week OR five 4hr days/week
– For part-time employees, Planting Justice prorated by the number of hours worked in a pay period, dividing them by the total hours for full-time work. For example, someone who works 30 hours in a 40-hour work week will receive 75% payment for a mandatory holiday and 75% of paid sick leave and vacation accrual. A part-time employee working half-time (20 hours/week) will receive 4 paid hours for a mandatory holiday, and will accrue 5 days of paid vacation and 5 paid sick days during the first year.
– Planting Justice provides eight mandatory holidays, on which the office is closed, and no work is scheduled. The mandatory holidays are:
– 1st of January (New Year’s Day)
– June 19th (Juneteenth)
– Fourth of July (U.S. Independence Day)
– 1st Monday of September (Labor Day)
– October 11th (Indigenous Peoples’ Day)
– Thanksgiving Day
– Friday after Thanksgiving Day
– Christmas Day
* If the 1st of January, 4th of July or Christmas Day falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the mandatory holiday will match the U.S. federal holiday. Many people also take Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, various religious observance days, and other holidays as paid days off, using Vacation or Sick Leave/Health Maintenance, but these are not mandatory, and the office is open/available.
Application Instructions: Submit a resume and cover letter or expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with email title – “Office Clerk Position”
Position will remain open until filled.
Nature of Employment:
Planting Justice is an equal opportunity employer and employment is at-will.