Job Title: HR Manager
Location: Remote/All sites (hybrid)
Accountable to: Admin Team (Co-directors, Operations Director, Operations Coordinator)
Effective Date: As Soon As Possible
Job Type: Full Time
Planting Justice is a grassroots organization with a mission to empower people impacted by mass incarceration and other social inequities with the skills and resources to cultivate food sovereignty, economic justice, and community healing.
The Human Resources (HR) Manager at Planting Justice is a critical role responsible for supporting the organization’s mission and value alignment and overall health and wellbeing of its staff. The HR Manager is responsible for implementing, executing, and providing oversight on a broad range of human resource related policies, programs and initiatives for a non-profit organization of 50 staff. The HR Manager will lead HR-related efforts including, but not limited to, employee relations, benefits administration, recruitment, training and development, and performance management. The ideal candidate will be resourceful and have excellent communication and leadership skills. This position may qualify for a hybrid work schedule after an initial onboarding period.
The primary role of the PJ HR Manager is ensuring that the organization is functioning efficiently on the HR front. This is done by performing administrative duties that are central to PJ operations, as you collaborate with the Administrative Team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide Human Resource leadership as the people leader for Planting Justice
- Lead Human Resources operations and partner with Senior Leadership on organizational design, growth initiatives, workforce planning, employee relations/engagement, and maintaining our culture as we scale our organizational programs and reach.
- Lead and develop the long-term strategy of Human Resources for the organization, including recruiting, onboarding, compliance, benefits administration, leave of absence management, performance and compensation management, employee relations, terminations, and HR technology.
- Responsible for processing payroll and responding to payroll questions.
- Engage with employees on employee relations matters, cultural initiatives, and day to day process development and improvement to provide a healthy, supportive and justice-centered work environment.
- Oversee recruitment process including coordinating and conducting interviews, leading the candidate selection process, and employee onboarding.
- Work closely with Human Resource service providers to ensure support services are well executed.
- Coordinate with the Reentry Program, Care Coordinator, outside facilitators, and Human Resources Committee of the Board of Directors as needed on HR-related matters.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business or related field (experience and skill are weighed heavily against degrees).
- 5-8 years of experience in a Human Resources management or similar position.
- Familiarity with Restorative Justice principles and practices.
- Formerly incarcerated or experience with formerly incarcerated a plus
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including listening, coaching, and training.
- Strong leadership, communication skills, and project management skills.
- Ability to develop trusting, strong relationships and work with PJ staff.
- Diligent and firm with high ethical standards.
- Excellent written, verbal, and non-verbal communication skills.
- Ability to develop new HR policies and programs based on organizational requirements.
- Solid business acumen, management reporting, and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with applications such as Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, and Adobe Acrobat. Preferred experience with Rippling platform or other Human Resource software/platforms.
- Reliable personal transportation required and valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Walking short distances
- Occasional Bending, stooping, twisting
- Reaching above and/or below shoulder
- Handling/grasping documents or office equipment
- Sitting and/or standing for short or extended periods of time
- Clear speaking and adequate hearing sufficient to communicate effectively and respond appropriately in-person and/or on the telephone
- Vision sufficient to read source materials and computer screen data
- Repetitive motions for computer equipment use
- Requires exertion of force of 25 pounds occasionally, 10 pounds frequently, and/or 5 pounds continuously to lift/carry/move objects, files and documents
- Work is performed primarily in an office or home (remote) environment using standard office equipment
Compensation and Benefits:
- Minimum salary rate for the HR Manager position begins at $33.65 per hour [$70,000.00 per year], with room for negotiation based on experience, with a 3% increase in annual pay.
- Benefits include 4 weeks paid time off plus 7 paid annual holidays, Kaiser health care package plus dental, vision, life insurance and chiropractic coverage beginning 60 days after the first date of hire
- Annual professional development stipend of $500, plus other paid training opportunities.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Friday, November 3, 2023.