TYY Hiring Announcements
Position Title: Transform Your Yard (TYY) Ecological Landscaping Project Manager
Managers: Nicole Wires, James Collector
Our nursery is located at the Sogorea Te’ Land Trust land at 319 105th Ave., Oakland, CA 94603. This address is where you will usually meet every morning, unless directed to a different site by your Manager Our farm is located at 4823 Hilltop Dr., El Sobrante, CA 94803. Planting Justice locations are generally open Monday through Friday and some weekends between 8am – 6pm. Without prior permission, you should not be at Planting Justice locations outside of these hours.
Responsibilities | Ecological Landscaping Project Manager:
The main responsibility of the position is to project manage and site lead the installation of permaculture gardens for private residents throughout the Bay Area with the Transform your Yard landscaping team. This position will include 3-6 months of on-site training and mentorship under current Project Managers before stepping into full project management role.
This position provides Project Manager with the opportunity to give back to their community, develop their resume, gain economic and personal stability, gain expertise in food and medicine production, and receive the support and empowerment they need to become leaders in the food justice/urban agriculture movement.
We are looking for candidates who have many of the following skillsets*:
• Garden design
• Client relations/management
• Proper use of power tools
• Planting edible and California native annuals and perennials
• Permaculture techniques such as sheet mulching and herb spirals
• Construction skills such as building raised beds, trellises, and chicken coops
• Irrigation installation and maintenance
• Designing and installing greywater systems and rainwater tanks
• Composting systems
• Nonviolent communication and/or other conflict resolution practices
*Candidates are not expected to have all of these skillsets, and paid training is available to help new hires obtain the above skillsets. Strong desire to lead projects independently is a must.
• Work an average of 30-36 hours/week. Work includes onsite training & professional development hours. If landscaper does not have work at a paid client’s, landscaper will work with Project Manager to determine helpful task list to complete at Planting Justice Nursery and/or Farm
• Show up to work on time and well rested, fed, sober, and ready for demanding physical labor.
• If unable to make it to work due to illness or emergency, contact your managers at least 12 hours before the work is to begin.
• Work cooperatively as a member of a team
• Follow instructions of the project manager, designer, and any other designated project leaders
• Ask questions and for help when unsure how to handle a task
• Learn new skills and share existing skills with others
• Be a role model with other participants through good example, good work ethic, and good communication
• Work with crew of edible landscapers, ensuring to the best of your ability that the installation is on schedule and conforms to the design and scope of work
• Maintain a positive relationship with the client during installation, and promptly report to Project Manager and team any concerns, changes to the scope of work, and any/all problems that may arise during installation
• Edible Landscaping Project Managers are compensated with a starting hourly rate of $17.50, with opportunity for advancement
• After 90 days probationary period, employee is eligible for standard PTO package: 4 weeks Paid Time Off (includes vacation, wellness, and sick days), increasing to 5 weeks in Year 3 and 6 weeks in Year 5.
• Paid annual holidays: New Year’s Day , 4th of July, Thanksgiving + Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas
• Unpaid Time Off/Extended Vacations beyond Paid Time Off: possible with prior coordination, scheduling and approval at least 2-weeks ahead of time
• Unpaid sick leave: as needed
• Health care coverage including dental, vision, life insurance and chiropractic coverage after 90 days after date of hire.
Please submit resume and cover letter or expression of interest to email@example.com by Friday 9/20. Applications will be reviewed the week of 9/23-9/27. Preliminary phone interviews will begin the week of 9/30, with on-site interviews to follow. Position open until filled.
Please stay on the lookout for updates on future hiring announcements ~ We are excited you want to work with us! In the mean time, come visit the nursery. You can learn more about volunteering here, or subscribe to our newsletter here.